Practice Lead - Training, Senior Consultant
Stephen leads a dual life as an education/learning professional and a business development executive. His key educational roles are professional training for private and public sectors and part time lecturing at the Sprott School of Business in entrepreneurship related subjects. His primary corporate training partners include Delta Partners and the National Quality Institute / Excellence Canada. He recently calculated that he has trained more than 11,000 people since 2000!
His current operations management consulting specializes in process mapping and modeling, business excellence methodologies, enterprise risk management, root cause analysis and quality management standards and awards. His work is carried out mainly in the technology, public and military spaces with his most significant and memorable opportunity training in military theatre with SNC Lavalin PAE and DND in Afghanistan and Bosnia.
As a business development executive, Stephen focuses on helping new companies scale sales by optimizing their operations. Stephen is currently the virtual VP Business Development for Flywheel Energy Systems Inc, an energy storage research and development company. A selection of his other clients include CRSTL Solutions, Porter Airlines, National Quality Institute and the International Civil Aviation Authority (ICAO). He is also a partner withThird Core Venture Expansion Partners.
Stephen is also a senior member of the American Society for Quality (ASQ), a past marketing chairman for the Standards Engineering Society (SES) and a past outreach director for the Canadian Society for Training and Development (CSTD). Stephen is currently the programs manager for the Public Sector Quality Fair (PSQF) which is run by the Canadian Public Sector Quality Association (CPSQA).
Stephen has Top Secret security clearance.
Stephen is currently working in the following positions:
- Training Practice Lead at Delta Partners, where he helps to co-ordinate training and facilitation activity for public and private organizations
- Partner at Third Core Venture Expansion Partners, where he helps early stage companies scale sales by optimizing operations
- Managing Director at SJD Group which is his own boutique consulting company specializing in operations virtual executive roles.
- Executive Director (starting January 2012) and Trainer for the National Quality Institute / Excellence Canada
Past positions include:
- Vice President of Business Development at DISTIL Interactive
- Senior Program Manager at Nortel Networks
- Senior Supply Chain Manager at MITEL Networks
- Quality Manager at International Quantum Electronics
Education and Professional Certifications
- M.Sc., Systems Engineering
- B.Sc., Physics
- Certified Excellence Professional
- Certified Trainer
- Senior Member
Stephen lives in Ottawa with his wife and has three children, a dog and three cats. He enjoys home renovations and is a sailing and rugby enthusiast. He is also active in the entrepreneurial community, participating in a number of ongoing networking events.
Stephen also volunteers with a number of local professional society chapters, most notably the Canadian Public Sector Quality Association and the American Society for Quality.
Stephen has delivered a significant number of presentations at numerous conferences and written for various journals, a selection includes:
- “A Sales Execution Strategy Guide for Startups”, Technology Innovation Management Review (TIM Review), Sep 2011
- “Sales Strategies – back to basics”, Open Source Business Resource (OBSR), Aug/Sept 2010
- “Closing the Assessment Gap: Personnel certification and the growing need to measure employee competencies”, HR Reporter, 10th March 2008
- “Let them play! Using computer games to learn can actually lead to developing key competencies”, Workplace News, Feb 2008
- “Innovations in training: Digital Games Based Learning”, RABQSA e-momentum page 18, April/May 2007
- “Why skills based assessment?”, RABQSA e-momentum page 11, Nov/Dec 2006
- “Corporate Games”, CQI (formerly IQA) Quality World page 16, April 2006
- “Corporate Gaming: Exploring the use of DGBL for auditor training and assessment”, IRCA Inform, Quarter 1 2006
- “Using Gaming Technology for Personnel Certification”, e-Learning Guild Annual Gathering 2009
- “Leaping from Role Play to Game Play”, DevLearn 2008
- “Measuring Employee Competencies”, ISO9000 Conference 2008
- “Digital Game-Based Learning Masterclass”, American Society for Quality World Conference 2008
- “Serious games for serious standards”, Standards Publishing Association Board 2008